Monday 11 January 2010

Evaluation Q2

2.)How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
(If this image does not largen please click the html link) http://anniesa2.blogspot.com/2009/12/media-day.html
Below I put both my magazine covers, however the one right below is my final magazine cover. I think having added more content to the page allowed my magazine cover to look more professional. I added more articles that would appeal to the target audience more. I also altered the font sizes in order to make it suit a magazine like 'Vogue'.
For my final magazine cover I had a choice of two magazine covers, the one above is my final one, however I changed the dates on the above one to sepetember 2010. I thought that if I changed the date to September 2010, I done this because I thought that if I changed the date than the ancillary products will be more effective. This would mean that the magazine cover would be coming out at near the same time as the film and the teaser. Therefore I made sure that on my poster the date would be December 31st so that it would compliment the teaser trailer and the magazine cover.

For my teaser the soundtrack was one of the most important features. I had to use a certain soundtrack that would give it a more Indian feel, however the soundtrack that I originally was going to use was copyrighted. Therefore I had to write to the PRS to ask. The email is in my previous post.

The soundtrack in the end went quite well with the clips and did hint at the narrative. Therefore I was pleased that I was allowed to use the soundtrack.
Iconography- In my poster I used a 'wooden spoon' and an 'Ipod' to show the contrasting range of culture. I used the motif of satorical code in my poster and my teaser trailer to show the link between the 'British/Asian' culture. Again in my poster I made the male protagonist wear a jumper and made the female protagonist wear a traditional 'shalwar kameez' to allow the audience to assume what their characters are going to be like in the film.
Distribution-
  • Poster-My poster is going to be distributed in billboards, cinema's, T.V and ofcourse the internet. The fact that it is a mainstream film would mean that it's distribution would be quite expensive. In addition to this British Asian films are becoming more mainstream in itself, for example recently 'The Infidel' and 'It's a wonderful afterlife' have been distributed quite highly across most channels. This shows that the gap between British and British Asian films have decreased, therefore the distribution is likely to be high profile. Whereas previously the distribution would have been quite minimal as seen in 'Bend it like Beckham's' distribution.
  • Magazine Cover-I wanted a women's fashion magazine to be the distributors of my magazine cover because females of all ages tend to buy magazines and romantic comedies are usually aimed at a female audience. Therefore if the women find the female protagonist intriguing they would want to watch the film. Therefore I used Huma only to be in the front cover, looking classy so that the younger female audience can aspire to be like her whereas the older female audience can connect with her. I also used very light colours like cream and brown to engage the audience and used her lipstick's colour (pink) for some font so that it stands out.
  • Teaser Trailer- As shown in the teaser trailer, I was going to have 'Miramax' and 'Fox Searchlight' distribute my teaser trailer. Although traditionally they have been classified as distributors of independant films, recently Fox Searchlight has begun distributing Bollywood films (My name is Khan), therefore I thought that both would be able to distribute well to a British Asian audience as they are one of the only British distributors who have distributed a Bollywood film.

No comments:

Post a Comment